* Monitor and documenting the offload activities of groundfish commercial fishing vessels
* Identification of all species landed.
* Accurately recording offloaded weights into electronic data systems and on paper
* Monitor compliance of fishery regulations
* Biological sampling of selected species
* Highly self-motivated with strong organizational skills
* Ability to work flexible schedules including irregular hours, evenings and weekends
* Ability to work independently, follow procedures, and meet strict timelines
* Ability to identify commercially important marine species an asset
* Ability to travel within Canada and the US
* High school graduation as a minimum. Knowledge of the fishing industry is an asset.
* Valid BC Drivers Licence with a reliable vehicle.
* Physically fit to lift baskets of fish and climb ladders to board fishing vessels
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
* Must obtain Fisheries Observer Certification through Fisheries and Oceans, Canada*. This required certification training is provided to successful candidates in our 2-week training course.
* All successful candidates will need to provide a criminal record check to be certified as a
Fisheries Observer as required by Fisheries and Oceans, Canada.
* Competitive wages starting at $16.56/hour with a guaranteed minimum 4-hour callout on all days worked.
* Part-time positions are available. The hours and work schedules are variable as they are governed by the landing times of the fishing vessels.
* The work is primarily in Ucluelet, but can also occur in Tofino, French Creek and Nanaimo.
Ability to travel to other fish landing ports is desirable.
* Fisheries Act and Fisheries (General) Regulations state that a person who owns, operates, manages, or is an employee of an enterprise that catches, cultures, processes or transports fish can not be certified as a Fisheries Observer.
Mail or fax your resume to:
Archipelago Marine Research Ltd.
525 Head Street, Victoria, BC, Canada V9A 5S1
Fax: (250) 383-0103
or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: November 1st, 2017
|Last hour||Last 24 hours||All|